622- Part 3

Armed with a cup of coffee, I snuggle inside the blanket with the book in my hand. Turning on my bedside lamp, I try to study the cover - 622 inscribed in gold, and nothing else either on front or back. Flipping through the pages, its a diary but on the first page I see calligraphy "Stories... " penned in black ink. The dates tell me that it wasn't maintained regularly but only few entries which deserved to be there on that diary.

Reading through one of them-

24th Sep. 2010

The clock struck 1 a.m. and the phone rang, thankfully this one was punctual enough! As I say hello, a female voice creeks in a nervous hello.After few seconds of silence, " How am I assured that my identity will remain confidential?". "This service has been in place for many years now, had it not been for privacy we both would have got intermingled in our original identities instead of numbers ,defeating the very purpose." "Okay okay... secrets do take a toll sometimes and this one of them." "Begin right away, I am all ears but I request you- no names. only numbers for people and letters for places, for the sake of secrecy." "I remember that, it was written on the poster in the tiniest yet legible handwriting."  

Next morning when I woke up, I was feeling like a 5 year old , who drifted off to sleep after a long day at school and playground while listening to the bedtime story. I looked at the book beside me - 622... I gave a long shot look and exclaimed - Will be right back dear! There's lot of work for the day now. Going through my to do list , I finally set out for the day.

Comments

Popular Posts