622 - Part 1

Shelly D'Costa , 622 Palm road , Goa..

An "out of the blue" bungalow is how the common folks refer to my ancestral ruins just because on one of the Goa's posh streets lined by ink-blue coloured bungalows, this one didn't see even the simple whitewash for what seems ages now. Shelly is my Grandma, (the paternal one) hence the name plate still loves her and probably the only remains apart from a B&W full photograph adorning the main hall.

And here amidst all this, I try to fit myself in through fragments of memories. Having a "boarding school childhood" and an out-station college, this house was nothing more than a place of vacation to me. Holidays were never too long for me, so probably I should refer them as mere breaks and nothing else. I really can't blame only those breaks for not giving me the time to communicate with my parents and rest of the family , but they were a major factor surely! My parents had died in a car crash when I was in 6th standard. Shortly after their death, my grandparents decided to send me to the best boarding school for my further education. Well , I now realise that it wasn't the only time when I was a mere puppet....


Dusting off the cobwebs from the corners, I almost feel the walls are shouting out loud- The mighty fall ! Definitely this bungalow has seen the best of the days in some glorius past of my ancestors, but the past decade has left its shadow on them now. I had heard among my college days and in those biennial telephonic conversations with Grandma that things weren't going good. But this bad, ouch! Continuing my lone-ranger war with millions of mites and dust particles, a glimmer of gold catches my fancy- A telephone with a gold plated dialer and enameled receiver. This must've been too close to Grandma to be maintained so well in this ruined estate!The telephone was an exquisite artifact. The minute engravings were etched out in perfection. Running my fingers through it, I felt something odd! Amidst the design of creeper with flowers, a number was etched in a manner not visible without magnifying glass or touch-622.Definitely ,the craftsman behind this must've been blessed with a lot skill. Going a 360 turn like a happy child, I wonder what else this bungalow has to surprise me!

Comments

Popular Posts