A Letter for you

Hi!

Okay, admitted I still find letters and old phone calls far better than texts. However, nowadays, because of the distance, video calls make me feel connected. I know what you are thinking after reading this- of late, I connected back to you with neither, and that however sincere, apologies wouldn't cut any corners.

At every stage of life to date, I have been fortunate to have people like you- who have in some form or the other were burdened with my existence for that period or even longer. Some shared memories, some exclusive secrets and a lot more moments in the "not so seemingly mundane existence" of our lives. However, if it comes to me, I have first experienced how does it feel to be left behind and probably now progressed to the other side of the fence where I have left behind not just my home, my people or my city but an entire zone! (By the way, I am still struggling with the kind of Dosas that are served in the mess). You might think that " out of sight, out of mind" line is right but nope, it's not at all so. The fact that adjusting to a new phase of life at a new place brings a lot of cognitive load on the brain - well, an earlier me could remember an entire class's birthday chart like anything but now, I have difficulty in remembering the name of the person I was just introduced at the formal meeting.  Don't worry, I think in your case I do remember your birthday- my call might reach your phone a minute before the day ends but it will be there rest assured. I do remember the memories of the earlier one(s) where I was a part of the celebration too!

I haven't forgotten the giggles and the tears that I have shared with you. If you were (un)lucky enough, we would have an inside joke too! I haven't forgotten the times when you would call me and ask " Kahan reh gayi tu?", say "Tu hamesha busy rehti hai yaar". I won't ever forget the times when your notes, proxy attendance would be that safety net which didn't let me fall down when I was flying in the world of extracurricular activities. There are a lot of things I do remember (Okay, multiplication tables post 13 are still not on the list though), but in the space of planning hours, days and weeks at times, they get stacked into the deep corners only to sneak out at times when I am especially reminded of you by a particular thing or memories. Thankfully, I have a spectrum of memories to look back to- they have made me what I am today as a person.

I remember you through that then released song you crooned most of the time just in case you don't know,
I certainly remember when you cheered me up when I was feeling low.
I do remember you through that dish/ place you introduced me to,
I do still have your secret as safe with me as it was then too!

I don't know if you considered me as your friend or acquaintance, but if it indeed is the former, do reply to me- a call or a text anything would do! I know we have moved ahead in our lives and times have changed too. As much as I want to, I won't be able to make up for the time we lost in between but can we start again, please?

Comments

Popular Posts