The trip

As luck would have it, we got the side berth- both of us love window seats and our privacy. Our first train travel together was that one stepping stone that was awaiting months since we met for the first time. I was waiting for this day, to listen to all his stories, scenarios and the sentiments he felt while travelling by train. That childish excitement was palpable! The way he swiftly pulled me through the crowd when the train entered the platform guarding me all along, that wide grin on rechecking the ticket- I knew I was with someone who grew up and grew along in these train journeys.
Settling our bags in the upper berth for a while, we were really excited to recount our memories of such journeys. But for me, it was more than that- I was getting to spend time with him, and know him more. I knew there would be long conversations as well as peaceful silences between us. The fact that both would be equally comfortable sans any awkwardness was enough to signal me that our bond was deepening indeed. The train started to chug along the tracks, indicating the beginning of a long journey. Settling the covers and the pillows, we settled comfortably in that microcosm of privacy in an utterly public space- the Indian Railways!
I deliberately sat facing him, so that I could watch the intersections of different expressions on his face just like the linking tracks on the rail line. While at first, I saw an annoying eyebrow getting raised as I took my place as if asking me - 'Ain't it unfair to be that far being so close?', it took just a few minutes for that to convert into a smile since he correctly understood my idea and started telling his stories just like a faucet turned on to give that endless stream of water.
Sometimes, I would lose track of his talk and merely stare at him. Was he really like the calm waters to my storm? Was he really the wind beneath my wings? True, it was just months that we actually knew each other and for me to understand that fully well, it was anything but justified to take the time. However, the comfort we shared with each other from being goofballs to the best or worst models of maturity, that too in such a short time, was new and beautiful to me especially considering how I take long enough to believe people and trust comes even farther into the picture.
"Oww", that one growl jolted me back to the train. Instinctively I peeked outside the curtain to see the staff juggling with the huge tray full of flasks of hot water. Not caring to rebuke them which I attribute to my geography rather than my upbringing, I quickly looked for the damaged area. His right arm had got a spill of some of the hot water from the tray. I quickly took a hand towel and splashed some cold water in it to make a cold compress of sorts. He gave a puzzling look which I didn't process much at that time since I was worked up about how to relieve him of the heat and check for burns if any. As I am about to put the towel over his arm, he cups my face with his palms and softly whispers- "I'm okay re!" I gasp, "Look, it's red", and he doesn't miss a beat to reply- "So am I."
I look at his eyes. It's difficult to read that expression which seems like a cocktail of nervousness, excitement and calm. For a moment, it seemed as if he had waited for this very moment with this level of perfection. He planted a soft kiss over my forehead and muttered: "You're mine!". I don't know how, but tears started streaming down from my eyes. "Hey, Hush! Come here", and he enveloped me with a warm hug.  The silence between us was getting filled with my sobs and sniffs. However, he didn't say a word to break that and gently patted over my head. I don't know when I fell asleep, and when I woke up, I found myself in a different train beside another window, looking at my bag hanging beside the window. Facepalm, that was just a dream?

Comments

Popular Posts